I love trying new things, and I really want to work on my speed this year. So I have decided to use the Garmin Connect by Garmin Fitness training plan. I am doing the 16 week, which puts me a little past my first half of the year but should work for what I am looking for. This plan differs from the one that I tried last year, because you run a certain number of minutes and not miles. I have noticed an ease, because of this. I can push myself, because I know exactly how long I have to go.
This week was about getting everything lined up in a way that works for me. So I did all of the workouts this week, but a bit off from the schedule. So below is what the schedule looked like:
- Week 1 Day 1 (1/1)- Start Program (Rest Day)
- Week 1 Day 2 (1/2)- Easy Run- 35 min
- Week 1 Day 3 (1/3)- Steady Run- 40 min
- Week 1 Day 4 (1/4)- Rest Day
- Week 1 Day 5 (1/5)- Cross Train- 40 min
- Week 1 Day 6 (1/6)- Fartlek- 25 min
- Week 1 Day 7 (1/7)- Long Run- 60 min
So mine was a bit off from this, as I was working to get the workouts to fall on days that work for me. With a full time job and 2 littles, I need long runs to fall on the weekends, and like to have Monday and Friday for rest or cross train days. Once we get into week 2, you will see that I adjusted according.
So below is what I actually did last week:
- Week 1 Day 1 (1/1)- 1.59 mi – 20:19 min – 12:47 pace
- Week 1 Day 2 (1/2)- Rest Day
- Week 1 Day 3 (1/3)- 2.81 mi – 36:00 min – 12:49 pace
- Week 1 Day 4 (1/4)- Yoga and Inversion Cross Training
- Week 1 Day 5 (1/5)- 2.40 mi – 32:05 min – 13:21 pace
- Week 1 Day 6 (1/6)- 2.21 mi – 25:05 min- 11:22 pace
- Week 1 Day 7 (1/7)- 5.01 mi- 60:22 min- 12:02 pace
I learned a lot this week. I learned that I am stronger than I think and that I haven’t been pushing myself hard enough. I hit a lot of new records on the Garmin this week. I got 14 miles for my team, for Run The Edge. So here is to starting a new round of fun! Below are some highlight pictures, check out my social media for a list of gear.
— Katy Coffman (@run_katy_run) January 3, 2018
What did your training look like last week?